Brighton: Accessing Embodiment through Hanna Somatics – with Gayatri Schriefer (Three – day Course)
3-day educational course: “Accessing Embodiment through Hanna Somatics” with Gayatri Schriefer
Are you looking for an effective somatic approach to your own health or to the health of your clients? If you wish to learn more about Somatic principles and experience embodied movements, or wish to incorporate somatic movements into the work with your clients, this course is for you!
Hanna Somatics is a neuromuscular re-education that improves your quality of movement, flexibility and heals pain. It is an awareness-based system of slow, mindful movement that anyone can do.
The focus of this course is the learn the key movement lessons, theory and principles of Hanna Somatics. The three-day course covers:
● Somatic movement lessons. You will learn a daily practice of Somatic movements, known as the Cat Stretch.
● Understanding how we respond to stress and its effects within somatic body patterns (extension, flexion and trauma habituations).
● Assessment of these somatic habituations through observation in standing and walking.
● The clinical work will be introduced, focusing on assessment, palpation, listening touch, and hands-on techniques.
● Application of “pandiculation”, the technique coined and developed by Thomas Hanna, to restore easy fluid movement.
● Somatic philosophy and history.
● Functional anatomy and neurophysiology as it applies to Hanna Somatics.
● Sensory motor amnesia (SMA) and why it is the most common cause of chronic pain in our muscles and joints.
You will learn how to restore Sensory Motor Remembrance (SMR) and how to teach your clients to return to balance and wellbeing.
Take your movement practice to the next level and deepen your somatic awareness. During this three-day Hanna Somatics course with Gayatri Schriefer, you will learn;
– To assess somatic habituations caused by stress and how to come out of them.
– Easy-to-do movements based on neuroscience, to address somatic body patterns, that you can do by yourself or share with clients and friends.
– Somatic theory and practice, including assessment techniques, functional anatomy, neurophysiology, Somatic principles, clinical hands-on-work, and techniques.
The workshop is open to all who wish to experience and learn more about Hanna Somatics and its practical application. This work has many times been appreciated by professionals such as movement teachers, yoga instructors, physiotherapists, osteopaths, doctors, counsellors, psychotherapist, coaches, massage therapists, and others. The course can be taken with the focus on refining your own sensory-movement abilities, reducing pain and gaining freedom of movement. It is also for professionals who wish to gain new tools to teach to their clients.
As a part of the course, you will receive a training manual along with audio recordings of the movement lessons covered. This material will assist you at home in your own Somatic practice as well as with clients.
About Hanna Somatics
Hanna Somatics is a system of slow, mindful movement mostly done lying down. This method is based on brainwork, making changes in our musculoskeletal system by improving the function of the nervous system. Hanna Somatics teaches us to recognize and release holding patterns and chronic pain resulting from injury, stress and habituated posture. The work is based on the somatic tradition of Thomas Hanna, a student of Moshe Feldenkrais. In the spirit of this tradition, the primary focus of this work is to empower clients to master their own self-healing capacities. Rather than form, the principles are primary; finding ease and quality movement.
The clinical work in Hanna Somatics stands out from other forms of bodywork in that it relies on client participation to provide sensory-motor feedback, thus enabling the clients to make changes for themselves. The movement practice supports effortless, fluid and coordinated movement whether it be in yoga, dance, martial arts, sports or everyday movement. Somatics pertains to the first-person experience and addresses the whole Soma; mind-body-spirit as one unit. This method teaches us how to use movement and awareness to increase wellbeing, health and access our greater potential.
About the trainer – Gayatri Schriefer
Gayatri has spent the last 20 years studying and practicing embodied movement, including Hanna Somatics, the Feldenkrais Method, Body Mind Centering, Qi-gong, and several styles of yoga. She is a certified Hanna Somatic Educator from The Novato Institute for Somatic Research and Training in California, USA, and holds a bachelor’s degree in education. She is a co-founder and program director at The Ingle Institute for Somatic Education that offers professional training programs in the clinical hands-on work and how to teach the movement lessons of Hanna Somatics. Gayatri teaches trainings, workshops and consults clients internationally, currently mainly in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Ireland, India, and Sweden.
Gayatri guides her clients and students into greater embodied freedom, self-love and natural self-expression. She has spent her adult life inquiring into systems that bring about transformation, well-being and spiritual awakening. Gayatri has lived many years in India and has studied yoga, meditation, energy work, and ways of embodying freedom.
Date: August 23rd – 25th 2019
Time: Friday 9 -16.30 and Saturday and Sunday 9-17:00
Venue: The Studio, 39 Whippingham Road, Brighton, BN2 3PF
Cost: By donation